Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Inquiry Project: Political Regions


Inquiry Project: Political Regions

Hello parents/guardians!

Happy New Year! I hope that you and your families enjoyed the holidays. We have been learning about the political regions of Canada in class. Your child will be completing an inquiry-based research project on one of the provinces or territories of Canada. This will be our first partner assignment.

Students will find a partner based on their mutual interests and curiosities about Canada’s political regions (guided by me). They will be given class time over the next three weeks to complete the project, but may have to put some finishing touches on their projects at home. Students will be able to complete research during class time from online research and curriculum related handouts we have been using for Social Studies thus far. Each student will have an individual graphic organizer to gather and record information to put together their final project. The final project is to be presented on either a piece of Bristol board or a Google slides presentation.

The students have been given a handout with instructions/guidelines and a rubric (both attached in this post). This project is due on Friday, January 26th and we will begin presentations to share our findings on this day. Presentations will be about 3-5 minutes.

The project needs to include the following information:

  1. The name of the political region.
  2. Inquiry question(s)/wondering(s).
  3. The name of the capital city and major bodies of water.
  4. The populations of the capital city and political region.
  5. A description of the physical region(s) it belongs to. If the political region belongs to more than one, they must describe each one.
  6. The climat.
  7. Natural resources.
  8. Major tourist attractions.
  9. Industries or products that the political region is known for.
  10.  Information and pictures of animals and the flower that is representative of the province/territory.
  11. A picture of the flag of the political region.
  12.  At least 3 interesting facts on the political region.
  13.  Answer(s) to the inquiry question(s)/wondering(s).

The students have watched me present and model an example of this assignment in class. Further, I will be conferencing, supporting, and guiding students throughout the inquiry and research process.

Should you have any questions concerning this project please contact me either through your child’s agenda or email.

Take care,

Madame Campbell 




Projet d’enquête: Les régions politiques

Dans les partenaires, vous choisirez et ferez de la recherche sur une région politique du Canada qui vous intéresse. Vous montrerez votre recherche en créant une affiche ou une présentation de Google Slides. Il doit être complété par vendredi, le 26 janvier pour être présenté à la classe.

Mon partenaire : _________________________________
Notre région : ___________________________________
Notre format : ___________________________________

Comme démontré dans le modèle de Madame, vous devez inclure :

1. Le nom de la région politique.
2. Votre/vos question(s) d’enquête sur la région politique.
3. Le nom de la ville capitale et les plans d’eau.
4. Les populations de la ville capitale et de la région politique.
5. Une description de la/les région(s) physiographique(s) qu’elle appartient à.
6. Le climat.
7. Les ressources naturelles.
8. Les attractions touristiques principales.
9. Les industries ou produits trouvés dans la région politique.
10. L’information et les images des animaux et de la fleur qui est représentative de la région politique.
11. Une image du drapeau de la région politique.
12. Au moins 3 faits intéressants de la région politique.
13. Votre/vos réponse(s) d’enquête sur la région politique.




Rubric - Grade 4 Social Studies Inquiry Project:
Political Regions of Canada  


Level One
Level Two
Level Three
Level Four
Knowledge and Understanding
-I can identify few and show little understanding of characteristics of my political region
-I can identify and show some understanding of some characteristics of my political region
-I can identify and show understanding of several characteristics of my political region
-I can identify and show excellent understanding of  many characteristics of my political region
Thinking, Inquiry, and Communication Skills
-I provide limited information on my political region
-I demonstrate a limited ability to sort and communicate information found from my research
-I provide some information on my political region
-I demonstrate some ability to sort and communicate information found from my research
-I provide a considerable amount of information on my political region in detail
-I demonstrate considerable ability to sort and communicate information found from my research
-I provide an insightful amount of information in great detail on my political region
-I demonstrate an insightful ability to sort and communicate information found from my research
Application
-My poster/slide is not organized and includes limited information
-Visual aids are minimal and unclear
-My poster/slide is somewhat organized and includes some relevant and factual information
-Visual aids are somewhat clear and logical
-My poster/slide is organized and includes relevant and factual information
-Visual aids are clear and logical
-My poster/slide is very well organized and includes insightful and factual information
-Visual aids have an element of creativity and style   
Group Work (self-evaluation)
-I did not share the work equally with my partner
-I did not respect, encourage and support the ideas of my partner
-I did not listened to my partner
-I somewhat shared the work equally with my partner
-I sometimes respected, encouraged and supported the ideas of my partner
-I sometimes listened to my partner
-I shared the work equally with my partner
-I respected, encouraged and supported the ideas of my partner
-I listened to my partner
-I shared the work equally with my partner and offered assistance
-I always respected, encouraged and supported the ideas of my partner
-I always listened to my partner
Comments:


No comments:

Post a Comment

A big debate and creating treasure maps

  For the final focus in our study of rocks and minerals, we looked at a real-life local issue that involved the environmental impact of ext...